As promised in my Revamp post, a new series at the end of each month will be “Champagne Tastes, Beer Bottle Pocket” – a look at living the Champagne Moods lifestyle on a minimal income. Today: Panettone bread pudding. It’s a wonderful option for making a great dessert with very little money (thought it can always be classed up a notch with some liqueur). This version was made with Panettone discounted after Christmas (I used a lemon panettone for extra flavour), almond milk, cinnamon, and vanilla.
1) Cut up the panettone and fit the slices so the pan is covered (with no spaces)
2) Mix almond milk, cinnamon, and vanilla in a bowl (add honey or maple syrup if you are using stale bread instead of panettone or another type of cake) – note: some add egg to the mix.
3) Pour the mixture over the panettone (make sure there is enough of the mixture to cover the panettone.
4) Press down the panettone to get rid of air and make sure the cake has soaked up the juice.
5) Stick it in the oven (350C) until you notice that all the juices have been soaked into the panettone and there is a gold crust.
6) Enjoy! I used these cute silicone coffee cups from the dollar store for serving. The pudding can be served cold but my fave is hot with some maple syrup.
Total cost: $4.00 – Serves: 15-20 (depending on portion size)
I’ve seen some versions of this made by Giada De Laurentiis so you can always find her version online too.
Champagne Moods Rating:
Wishing you the best of everything,